Cream of mushroom soup is a must! Not only is it a tasty dish all its own, but it’s also a key ingredient in so many recipes! Namely, certain caseroles that are so prevalent during the holiday season- we’re looking at you green bean casserole.
Cream of Mushroom: Dairy-Free and Keto Friendly.
A Coconut Cream of Mushroom soup recipe for a low carb and dairy free alternative.
- 6 Tbsp Plant Butter
- 1 Whole Onion, chopped
- 16 oz Mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Cup Beef Broth
- 1/2 Tbsp All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 tsp Xanthan Gum
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 Cup Unsweetened Coconut Cream thoroughly blended
- Prepare onions and mushrooms: dice the onions, slice mushrooms.
- Melt half the butter in a pan and saute the onions until soft.
- Add in the remaining butter and mushrooms.
- Cook mushrooms for about 4-6 minutes, or until just cooked through.
- Stir in the flour and xanthan gum, then add the beef broth and all the seasonings and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the coconut cream.
- Allow to cool to thicken, store in an air tight container in the fridge or use immediately.
- Be sure the coconut cream is warmed enough to be liquid, and shake the can thoroughly before opening to mix it well. I find it helps to leave the can sitting on the stove-top near the heat while simmering the broth.
- Other butters and oils can be substituted for the plant butter, amounts might vary.
- This makes a fantastic base for grean bean casserole.
- To lower the carbs, leave out the flour and double the xanthan gum, it will not thicken quite the same, but still tastes great.
|Serving Size||1/6 of recipe|
|Net Carbs||6.2 g|